We believe that it's really important that all businesses are active in their local community. By this we mean promoting and purchasing from local businesses, shopping locally, and supporting local charities and initiatives that benefit the community. Why? Well, from our point of view it's because we get so much from being part of our community. We love it and relish the interaction with others nearby.
Over the years, we've discovered that when our community is thriving, people feel good – and are likely to feel confident to spend – which helps our clients and strengthens our business relationship. And it boosts our reputation of being fantastic human beings who are great to do business with.
Support and shop local... but why?
In short, supporting local business is good for our business – and it makes us feel great. Win/Win.
MCL Accountants are doing their bit both before lockdown and in the aftermath of Covid19. We have always used Southend High Street or Leigh-on-sea broadway for our retail excursions and coffees with colleagues and clients. Did you know that we're the main sponsors for Westcliff-on-sea cricket club too? And that we actively recommend local businesses to our clients in need of their services? It's how we've built our reputation, how we've won new business – and how we've helped many of our clients grow their businesses too.
How active are you in your local community?
You will be amazed by how much you will benefit, as an individual or a business, when you support your local community. There are countless reasons, some of which we've touched on already, but here are a few more:
- Build relationships with local people and support other local entrepreneurs. They could, in turn, become your customers – or they could recommend you
- Boost your own business – shopping locally means that these businesses will flourish. This improves the local area and in turn, attracts more potential customers in to the area
- Be green by walking or using public transport to reach your local shops and businesses
- Some local businesses will help shape the identity of the area. A high street filled with unique, vibrant and colourful shops and a range of service providers will attract more tourism and help to make the community a more popular and financially healthier area in which to live and work.
- Even if you never need their support yourself, by supporting small, local charities you are ensuring that their service remains viable in your area.
Do you have any good reason not to support your local area?
Here are some ideas of what you could do:
- Review your service providers and see if it's appropriate to switch to a local business instead of someone based miles away.
- When it's safe to do so, entertain your team and clients in a local restaurant or bar.
- Could your business support a local charity for 12 months?
- Maybe set up a networking group for local businesses to meet each other.
MCL Accountants support and shop local
And here are just a few of the things that MCL Accountants does in our home town of Westcliff-on-sea, Leigh-on-sea & Southend-on-sea in Essex:
- Run local networking events in Westcliff-on-sea, Leigh-on-sea & Southend-on-sea cafes and restaurants
- Invite local experts to share their knowledge with local businesses
- Supporters of "Make Southend Sparkle", by sponsoring the Garon's Park roundabout in Southend-on-sea.
- When we can, take clients for coffee at local cafes on Southend's high street or Leigh-on-sea Broadway.
- We recommend other local businesses to our clients (and non-clients) in need of their services
We'd love to hear from you if you have ideas about any other ways we can support our local area. And if you would like to come and chat to your "local" accountants (i.e. us) do get in touch and we can go for a coffee in Southend and support local together!