10 Effective Ways to Claim Tax Relief for Small Businesses

03/10/2020 - 11 minutes read

It’s a challenging time to run your own business, and it’s always worth exploring ways to ease the financial burden. While there are plenty of bills to pay when you run a small business, there may be a number of ways you can recoup some of the tax you pay.

10 Effective Ways to Claim Tax Relief for Small Businesses

From business rates relief to VAT relief, we’ve pulled together 10 tax reliefs small businesses can claim to help you work out if you can reduce your tax bill.

1. Employment Allowance (National Insurance relief)

If you’re an employer, you may be entitled to National Insurance relief of up to £4,000 (the total allowable relief for each business, not for each employee).

Claiming Employment Allowance lets you pay fewer employers’ Class 1 National Insurance every time you run your payroll until you reach the £4,000 threshold or the end of the tax year, whichever is sooner.

Which businesses are eligible for Employment Allowance?

  • – those with employees
  • – those that pay Class 1 employers’ National Insurance
  • – those with employers’ Class 1 National Insurance liabilities of less than £100,000 in the previous tax year

Charities are also eligible.

Which businesses aren’t eligible for Employment Allowance?

  • – limited companies with only one company director and no other employees
  • – self-employed contractors and freelancers who only pay Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance, and not Class 1

How do I claim the Employment Allowance?

There are two ways:

  • – use your own payroll software – enter ‘yes’ in the ‘Employment Allowance indicator’ box next time you send an Employment Payment Summary (EPS) to HMRC

You’ll need to claim every tax year. You can read all the details on the government website.

2. Annual Investment Allowance (AIA)

If your business uses plant and machinery to carry out its work, it may count as a tax-deductible expense.

Am I eligible for AIA?

Items eligible for the Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) include:

  • – things you keep to use in your business, including cars
  • – costs of demolishing plant and machinery
  • – parts of a building considered integral, known as ‘integral features’
  • – some fixtures – for example, fitted kitchens or bathroom suites
  • – alterations to a building to install other plant and machinery (not including repairs)

How do I claim the AIA?

You claim for AIA on your Self-Assessment tax return, your partnership tax return, or your Company Tax Return.

3. Small business rate relief

Due to the coronavirus outbreak, the government announced that retail, leisure, hospitality and nursery businesses didn’t need to pay business rates for 2020-21. They’ve also said they’ll review business rates as a whole.

Am I eligible for small business rate relief?

The small business rate relief is available to businesses with properties with a rateable value of less than £15,000.

How do I claim small business rate relief?

Your business property’s rateable value is taken from its open market rental value on 1 April 2015, which is based on an estimate by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). So you don’t need to do anything to claim this tax relief.

Under normal circumstances, your local council sends you a business rates bill for the following tax year. You’ll usually receive this bill in February or March.

4. Research and development (R&D) tax relief

Claiming research and development (R&D) tax relief could be an option if you work on innovative science and technology projects.

The project doesn’t actually need to be successful to qualify you for the relief – it just needs to aim to research or develop and advance in your field.

SME R&D relief lets you:

  • – deduct an extra 130 per cent of your qualifying costs from your annual profit, as well as the normal 100 per cent deduction, to make a total 230 per cent deduction
  • – claim a tax credit if your company is making a loss, worth up to 14.5 per cent of the surrenderable loss

Am I eligible for R&D tax relief?

You can claim small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) R&D relief if you have:

  • – fewer than 500 staff
  • – a turnover of under 100 million euros or a balance sheet total under 86 million euros

You may need to include linked companies and partnerships when you work out whether or not you’re a small or medium-sized enterprise.

How do I claim R&D tax relief?

You claim it on your Corporation Tax return, so you’ll also need to have a limited company to be eligible.

5. Creative industries tax relief

Creative industry tax relief is made up of the following eight Corporation Tax reliefs:

  • – Film Tax Relief
  • – Animation Tax Relief
  • – High-end Television Tax Relief
  • – Video Games Tax Relief
  • – Children’s Television Tax Relief
  • – Theatre Tax Relief
  • – Orchestra Tax Relief
  • – Museums and Galleries Exhibition Tax Relief

Am I eligible for creative industry tax relief?

The government website says: “Your company must have responsibility throughout development, from the start of pre-production until the completion of the film, programme or game.

For theatrical productions, orchestral concerts or exhibitions, the company must be responsible for producing, running and closing the production.

You’ll also need to pass the British Film Institute’s (BFI) cultural test, which requires all films, animation and television programmes or video games to be certified as British.

How do I claim the creative industry tax relief?

You can claim it as a tax-deductible expense on your Company Tax Return.

6. Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS)

The Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme gives investors tax reliefs when they buy new shares in your company.

Am I eligible for the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme?

You need to have a limited company to qualify for this type of tax relief. 

How do I claim the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme?

Follow these steps to claim for the SEIS:

  • – complete a compliance statement (SEIS1).
  • – send the form with all the relevant accompanying documentation to HMRC.
  • – if your application is successful, you’ll receive compliance certificates from HMRC.
  • – issue the compliance certificates to your investors.
  • – your investors can then claim tax relief on their investments in your company.

7. Enterprise Investment Schemes

In some ways, the Enterprise Investment Scheme is similar to SEIS. 

Am I eligible for Enterprise Investment Scheme?

Find out more about the eligibility criteria for EIS here.

How do I claim the Enterprise Investment Scheme?

You can apply by filling out the compliance statement EIS1 form available on the government website. You then need to send it to HMRC.

8. Marginal Relief

If you run your own limited company, you may be able to apply for Marginal Relief to reduce your Corporation Tax bill. It gives you a gradual increase in your tax rate between the small profits rate and the main rate.

Am I eligible for Marginal Relief?

To qualify for this relief on your Corporation Tax, your company’s profits before 1 April 2015 need to have been between £300,000 and £1.5 million.

How do I claim the Marginal Relief?

You can apply for this relief in your Company Tax Return, and you have up to 12 months from filing a return to amend it to claim for Marginal Relief.

9. Business Asset Disposal Relief (formerly Entrepreneurs’ Relief)

You may be able to reduce your Capital Gains tax bill when you sell your business by claiming Business Asset Disposal Relief (BADR).

Am I eligible for BADR?

The government website details all the qualifying criteria for claiming BADR.

How do I claim the BADR?

You can either claim on your Self Assessment tax return or by filling in the government’s Business Asset Disposal Relief help sheet.

10. The Patent Box

If you run your own company, the Patent Box may mean you can apply a lower rate of Corporation Tax to your profits on any patented inventions you have.

Am I eligible for the Patent Box?

Your company will need to:

  • – be liable to Corporation Tax
  • – make a profit from exploiting patented inventions
  • – own or have exclusively licenced-in the patents
  • – have undertaken qualifying development on the patents

Read more about these criteria and the full list of rules on the government website.

How do I claim the Patent Box?

You can find out more about how Patent Box calculations work by reading the example on the government website.

Contact MCL Accountants on 01702 593 029 to optimise your tax position or if you need any assistance with your company accounts or tax relief claims.